Halloween

I've always loved costumes. And I had very few opportunities to wear one because there was no Halloween in Spain when I wad a kid. And we did not celebrate Carnival because it was a religious school. So I loved each opportunity to do it.

Me and my friends liked Halloween very much. The idea we had of it at least. So the last year of school, we decided to celebrate it. At home, of course.

I have always been the type of person that makes her costumes out of what I have at home. So most of what you are about to see, is either mine, my mom's, or any of my friend's.

In 1998 I moved into a really beautiful flat. Very old, as well. The perfect scenario for a Halloween party. So from that year onwards, I was the host of the Halloween sleepover.

As the years passed, we found some decorations here and there, so each year we were able to decorate the house a bit more.
We had dinner, watched a couple of movies, and slept in.



But it was not all about the costume. As the "host", I loved to get in the theme as much as possible. 
The house itself was a bit scary. Tall ceilings, creaking floors, dark coloured furniture...
We had a very long corridor, and the living room and the toilet were on opposite ends, so people avoided the toilet all they could. I used to hide a very creepy talking doll along the corridor, so any noise would provoke a sinister "MOMMY".

       
And the food. 
Oh, the food.
Again, we are talking about a place where Halloween was not celebrated so there was no Halloween themed food.
What I did was find the theme myself. So every year I looked for ghost and bat shaped Cheetos, made a thorough search to get all the creepy gummies available: black cats, worms, fingers, teeth, brains,...
I used to put platic eyes inside the normal snacks as a surprise.
And I made a cake. There is not a strong tradition of pumpkin pies or cakes here, so I decided to make the only orange coloured cake I knew.
It was a recipe learned from my mom, and it's a no-bake, no eggs, no butter cake which main ingredients are carrot and coconut.


Each year, people got more and more involved and also made cookies and stuff like that. 

This tradition got relaxed as we grew older. And disappeared when I moved to Alicante. But I always try to do something. A friend here has thrown a Halloween party a couple of times and I always bring some themed cake.

Anyway, I love Halloween and no matter what life brings, I will try to celebrate it every year. Even if it is only me in a costume.






Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Cine Familiar

Tenéis tres opciones. Correr, Esconderos... o esperar al Lunes!!!

Los Pájaros